BREAKING NEWS: Steve Nash signs a new endorsement deal. Nike responds.
CounterKicks can exclusively confirm that Steve Nash has left Nike and signed with Chinese brand Luyou.
Nike US Media Relations Director Derek Kent issued the following statement to CounterKicks:
“We can confirm Steve Nash is no longer under contract with us. We had a great run with Steve and we wish him all the best. We’re extremely pleased to work with the NBA’s top players like Kobe, LeBron, Durant and Wade, who wear our basketball products, the most innovative in the game today.”
Nash’s decision to endorse a Chinese footwear brand follows in the footsteps of recent headline deals like Kevin Garnett leaving adidas for ANTA.
Adding context, Nash is repped by BDA Sports who has pioneered Chinese endorsement deals for NBA athletes with its clients including Yao Ming and later partnering up Baron Davis and Hasheem Thabeet with Li-Ning.
The Nike and Steve Nash relationship ends after 15 years. Terms of the new Nash and Luyou deal are not yet available.
More info to come on CounterKicks as the story develops…
*UPDATE - More Steve Nash x Luyou Coverage:
– Steve Nash Nike Kicks: A Brief History
- Steve Nash’s New Chinese Shoe Brand Luyou Uses “The Little Engine That Could” Slogan
- Here’s A Look At Sneakers Steve Nash’s New Chinese Brand Luyou Has Done In The Past
- Officially Unveiled: Luyou Steve Nash 1
- This Luyou Basketball Shoe Looks A Lot Like Nike
- Video: Steve Nash Talks Luyou
Follow CounterKicks on Twitter for breaking sneaker news and exclusive info