2012 Olympic gold medalist Aries Merritt recently stopped by Reebok Headquarters in Canton, Massachusetts to check out the Reebok Basketball Summit. Aside from mingling with attendees John Wall, Jason Terry, Jameer Nelson, Isaiah Thomas and Dionte Christmas, Merritt obliged some Q&A with Reebok on his training regimen, Reebok RealFlex Speed training shoes, how he won the 110M gold medal, and more. Read that interview and check out the accompanying pics below. You can pick up a pair of Reebok RealFlex Speed at Reebok.com and at Dick’s Sporting Goods now.
1. What’s involved in your typical training session? Take us through a typical day in the life of Aries. — Early Breakfast is key, since it’s the most important meal of the day. Eating right is part of my training so a well-balanced meal for breakfast, followed by morning protein shake. After about 2hrs later, I go to the track and start my training session. Depending on the day I will have weights immediately after that or I will get Massage or therapy as needed as preventative maintenance is vital to success. Then I will go eat a healthy lunch from a sandwich shop or home then spend the rest of my day playing video games or watching TV until dinner then repeat that process.
2. How did Reebok Real Flex footwear help you get the most out of your training? — Flex wear helped me get the most of my training by providing me with comfort and stability with all my exercises. Whether it be running, or weight training, Flex footwear is all I have used.
3. How did your training regimen change as the Olympics got closer? — My fall training regimen was very hard, however, as I got in season my training became more and more specialized on my event as opposed to training like a 400m runner. The closer to the Olympics I progressed the lighter and lighter the volume got but more intense the workouts became… so light reps but fast.
4. Aside from your gear, what kind of qualities helped you win the gold? — Work ethic, Focus, Determination, Drive, Passion, and support from good people helped me earn Gold.
5. How did you stay mentally focused during your Olympic final? — I took the Olympic Final as if it were a regular day of training. Because in training I execute and perform properly with no pressure so why not have that mentality coming into the Olympic Final.
6. Aside from the 110m hurdles, what else do you like to do to stay fit? — Swimming is another great form of exercise as well as most all recreational sports should I have time to play them.
7. Did you always know you were going to pursue track and field or did you start off playing other sports? — I started off a gymnast then stopped to pursue other sports such as track, football, and basketball. Track was always my passion because I love running.
8. What are you going to do with your gold medal? – I’m going to place it in my shrine where all my awards go from major competitions
9. Give us one word that describes you? — Focused
10. Favorite sport (track/hurdles don’t count!) — Football
11. Favorite music/artists — Hip/Hop and R&B… From Usher, Trey Songz, and Chris Brown to Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, and DJ Khaled
12. Favorite meal while training? One cheat food what would it be? — Favorite meal while training is grilled chicken, fish, or any lean meat with veggies (something green), and a starch (Rice, etc…) one Cheat food would be pizza. Pepperoni.